From the boardroom to the bedroom ... and beyond


Get what you want, when you want

Wednesday 20 January 2010

'Quicky' Goal Setting Guide

Following on from Scott's goal setting interview on BBC2's Working Lunch here's how you can set and achieve your goal.

This works for professional and personal goals.

1. State your goal in the positive If you want to give up chocolate for example, saying to yourself 'I'm not going to eat chocolate' will only get you thinking about chocolate even more - not good!

Do this now - don't think about a bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk - I said don't! Impossible isn't it. Always think about what you DO want - i.e. 'I want to eat healthier foods like fruit and veg'. Thinking about what you DO WANT(INSTEAD OF WHAT YOU DON'T WANT) steers you away from temptation/possible failure and towards a solution.

2. Ask yourself this question ' How will I know when I have achieved my goal?'

This sounds like an obvious question to ask but this aspect of goal setting is often overlooked. Think specifically about what it will be like when you have completed your goal; ask yourself 'what will be different?’,’ where will I be?', 'what will I be doing?', 'how will I feel?' etc.

Follow the two simple steps above and you'll massively improve your chances of achieving your goal!

For the full version of goal setting (to get what you want) read chapter 6 (Plan) and chapter 7 (Get Inside Their Head) in You Need This Book!

No comments:

Post a Comment